Monday, July 7, 2014

Not Today...

I am falling down on the job.

I could, very convincingly I might add, blame some of my blogmates for my near absence today.  After all, I have no vacations drinking Chassagne Montrachet to brag about.  And no family photos to display, showing grand babies who are so cute that my clothes seem to glow in the dark just because I am holding them.  (I do have fabulous grandchildren, but they are spending the summer in day camps of various sorts, since they lack a grandparent with permanent roots on a gorgeous Greek island.)

Or I could grouse about all the horror stories about British Air, which I will be flying on four flights next month on visits to Kenya and London.  The dire warnings presented here are second only to the ones offered by friends appalled that I am going to Kenya at all, given the fact that trouble there is headlining the news broadcasts in the USA.

None of that.



The paucity of this post actually has a joyful cause.  It is ThrillerFest week in New York City--always a fun-filled experience and one where I don't have to fly anywhere--on British or any other airline--in order to get there.  It takes place just ONE subway stop from where I live.

And this year, it brings me the precious week-long company of Stan Trollip, who is off today at NY FBI headquarters, with a bunch of other crime writers, learning the latest investigative techniques of G-Men.  Here he is in a noir-ish picture taken last night during an after dinner stroll around my neighborhood.



This evening, we are having dinner with Dr. Barbara Leavy and her delightful husband Peter.   Barbara is literary light who believes that crime novels are NOT negligible genre entertainment, but novels that should be treated as true literature.  What better company could I have?



As the week progresses, I will be seeing many, many of my crime writing colleagues.  The company I am keeping is so delightful that it erases the depressing nature of what I have been dealt in the past week in this space.  The women's words have been the exception, of course!

Annamaria - Monday




12 comments:

  1. Solidarity, Annamaria. Persevere.

    Hope you have a good, interesting dinner and fun at ThrillerFest. (Looking at that website just reminds me of all the books I haven't read!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I will come home with books I have bought and had signed by friends, to join the legions already in the house. when I die, I will be surrounded by books I really want to read!

      Delete
  2. It's a thrill to have your words here, however briefly, even if your body and mind are being thrilled at ThrillerFest! Have a great time, then rest up, and we'll 'see' you next week! And we KNOW you're a writer, as they are the only people, outside of university English departments, who have used the word 'paucity' in this century. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EvKa, unfortunately use words like "paucity" in everyday speech. It's obnoxious, but I understand they have medication in trials now that could very well cure me.

      Delete
  3. If you'd read Stan's piece more closely, Annamaria, you'd realize you shouldn't be falling down on the job, but from the wine.

    As for your observation on some of the content this week, sorry if it depressed you but happy you were able to find some words here to boy you up, phonetically speaking.

    Enjoy your literary soiree this evening with some of my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, see Stan's comment below for the list of wines so far! Barbara brought us your greetings. She and Peter were delicious company.

      Delete
  4. When I am mega busy, running around flying here and there, I think...'How does Angelina Jolie cope?'
    I mean she has so many houses I bet she never knows where her good shoes are. And always doing a head count of children. But then she has Brad Pitt, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, Angelina can have Brad. I would just like to have her staff working for me!

      Delete
  5. Annamaria dismissed the meal she prepared as "pshaw - just home fare." As with all great little restaurants, I'm loathe to share where it is in case it is discovered! The conversation was energetic, wide-ranging, and delightful - accompanied by am adequate South African pinotage, a bursting California shiraz, and a delicious Sicilian grillo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of which is more delightful than your company, Stan.

      Delete
    2. Pinotage, Shiraz, and Grillo. Sounds like a Southwestern law firm.

      Delete
  6. I'm in the same boat with stacks of unread books all over the place. That and all sorts of files belonging to only God knows who, and boxes of family stuff.

    ReplyDelete